In this episode of Don’t Break the Bank, we speak with Colin Bannister. Colin is VP of Solution Engineering for VMware EMEA and a big champion of VMware’s Degree-Apprenticeship program. Colin talks to us about mentorship, learning on the job and how to find, cultivate and support new talent within the industry.
- An organization is more defined by the people that work there than the technology they create.
- Make sure employees know what their value is to an organization and encourage them to define their goals.
- Seek out mentors and offer mentorship. The education on both sides makes it possible to challenge old ways of thinking and discover new solutions.
- "Having a clear career path and journey for everybody is important.” - Colin
- “Technology doesn't necessarily differentiate your company or your capability - your people do.” - Colin
- “I've gone off using this term soft skills because they're not soft at all. I call them human skills. What are the human skills that we have to develop to become even more effective in our roles?” - Colin
Colin Bannister LinkedIn
Colin Bannister Twitter
Colin Bannister Blog
About the Hosts
Matthew O'Neill is a husband, dad, geek and Industry Managing Director, Advanced Technology Group in the Office of the CTO at VMware.
You can find Matthew on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Brian Hayes is an audiophile, dad, builder of sheds, maker of mirth, world traveller and EMEA Financial Services Industry Lead at VMware.
You can find Brian on LinkedIn.